A healthier alternative to heavy, cream-laden casseroles.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (not quick-cooking or instant), rinsed and drained
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1¾ cups (one 14.5 ounce can) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water (or omit the water and use a total of 2¾ cups chicken broth)
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into small pieces (4-5 cups)
- ½ cup Litehouse Opa Ranch Greek yogurt
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Combine onion and rice in bottom of slow cooker. Spread out in an even layer. Place chicken on top of rice/onion mixture. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and water. Be sure that all of the rice is covered by the liquid.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours, or on high heat for 3½ hours, until the rice is tender and almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and chop into bite-size pieces. Stir chicken back into the rice mixture in the slow cooker.
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave: Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl and add enough water to fill the bowl 1-2 inches deep. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high 3-6 minutes, until crisp-tender. Drain.
- While the broccoli steams, stir the Opa Greek yogurt, Parmesan and cheddar cheese into the slow cooker. Stir in the steamed broccoli. Serve hot.