Everyone knows the health benefits of walking. But did you know there are also many great benefits to joining a walking club? Some of these benefits include:
1. Safety in numbers.
2. Good choice of group walking routes.
3. Meeting other walkers and walking partners.
4.Sharing tips on walking technique, shoes, gear.
Participating in organized walking activities, trips, social events.
5. More support most likely means you will stick with it
How To Find and Join a Walking Club.
1. Mall walking clubs concentrate on walking laps indoors for exercise. Check online at www.meetup.com group or even your local Senior Center for a list of groups available to join.
2. Medical centers and health clubs are good places to contact to find local walking clubs, as many sponsor walking groups for people of all age groups
3. Your local running shoe store may have brochures and publications which list walking and running clubs. Often stores have their own running and walking club that meets regularly to run and walk together.
4. Colorado has a plethora of walking charity events to join. Check out a list of events or walking groups that are near you on www.active.com
5. Fitness App Virtual Clubs that utilize Fitbit and other trackers or smartphone apps. It’s a great way to connect with friends and family to challenge and support each other.
6. Join a national AVA Volkssport Walking Club, which has become very popular in the US over the last 10 years. For more information, check out this fact sheet: http://www.ava.org/What_We_Are_About/AVA_Fact_Sheet.pdf, as well as their website: http://www.ava.org
And of course, it’s important to remember to make routine chiropractic care the foremost priority of your fitness program. Keeping your spine aligned can mean faster recovery from injuries, less shin splints and a much more enjoyable workout routine overall.