Exercise balls come in all shapes and sizes and can be easily found at physical therapy clinics, gyms and big chain retail stores. We’ve all seen how they can be used in various fitness routines to help improve tone your muscles and improve strength and stability. However, they are also highly useful tools in relieving chronic neck and back pain.
At Aspen Wellness Center, we carry a high quality Body Sport Fit Ball that is on sale for $24.99 through August 31, 2016. Your Fort Collins Chiropractor, Dr. Mike Kleker, shows us how using an exercise ball is one of the simplest and easiest ways to get moving again after a back pain episode.
1. Back stretch. This feels-so-good stretch helps to lengthen the spinal muscles of the entire back and helps to relieve any pressure on the lumbar or low back region.
2. Body Drape. In this exercise the ball acts as a cushion as you relax your body weight into it. This stretch gently targets the upper, mid and low back muscles at the same.
3. Stability Ball Twist. This stretch helps to relieve any muscle tension in the hips, which can have a negative impact on your low back muscles.
4. Alternating Arm and Leg Lift. This stretch is a gentle way to help strengthen your core and lengthen hip flexor and abductor muscles.
5. Upper Back Stretch. This is an amazingly comfortable stretch that helps relax the muscles in your upper, mid and lower back.
For more information on how you can best use an exercise ball to help relieve your chronic back pain, call your Fort Collins Chiropractor today at (970) 377-1775 for a free consultation.